Wednesday, April 11, 2012

You see all my light and you love my dark (Oct 11, 2008)

Sometimes, life happens in taco bell.
And I say that because, well, that happens to be Mike's favorite fast food in the universe, and that's where this all took place.
We were there last night.
Eating our burritos. I decided to live a lil' and stray outside of my Cheesey Bean & Rice staple.
I can't help it if that is the most tasty burrito they've created. Instead of choosing my favorite, I decided to branch out and get the chicken burrito supreme. No onions.
Mistake. The chicken tasted weird. I ate only 1/4 of it. Mike went to the counter to order my usual, telling me there was no reason for me to eat something I didn't like.
When he came back, he was pretending to be the neighbor from Home Improvement, hiding his lower face behind his taco, making me laugh hard.
A dad brought his dad and children in for dinner. They sat at the table directly to our right.
I instantly liked the grandpa. He reminded me of Poppi.
I dreamed of Poppi a little while ago. In my dream, he was in front of me. I hugged him. I was talking to him, telling him different things. The dream didn't seem to last very long, and as I was waking up, in my half asleep, just waking up daze, I thought "Where is he? I've not seen him in so long. I've seen Grandma a lot. Where is Poppi? I need to take him somewhere nice. I'm going to call him."
I woke up fully and realized that I simply cannot call him.
The dream lingered with me. The fact that I didn't grasp he's not here anymore in my just waking up state of mind bothered me a little. Maybe I don't want to believe that he's not here, I dunno.
Anyway, this Grandpa reminded me of Poppi. The Poppi from when I was little. I was looking over at him smiling at his antics.
And all of the sudden, I couldn't take being in the restaurant. I said to Mike "We need to leave...now. Can we please leave now?" I could feel the tears burning my throat. I knew I had only maybe 1/2 a minute to make it out into the nighttime.
Mike said "Sure. Absolutely."
I walked fast and determined out the door.
He was right behind me after throwing out our trash, that I left for him to deal with in my great taco bell escape. I was already in tears as I got to the sidewalk. He unlocked my door and i jumped in the car.
He said "What's wrong? Are you ok?"
I just broke down and told him the dream, and how I never even really cried about Poppi, and I just felt stupid now.
He didn't say anything, but instead threw his arms around me as I cried into his shirt. He rubbed my hair. Kissed my head. Told me it was ok to cry.
He told me that even if Poppi is gone for 20 years, it's ok to miss him so bad that it makes me cry, and he will completely understand.
He told me about the losses of his life,got misty eyed himself, and let me cry until my nose was red.
I couldn't believe how hard I was crying, and exactly how much I missed my Poppi just came pouring out of me.
Mike told me later when I referred to myself as his "emotional wreck girlfriend." That he "knew something was hurting" me when I abruptly needed to leave the bell.
I guess he thought the burrito took quick effect on my estomago.
I laughed at that. Diarrhea makes people do irratic things, and I guess he was just planning on driving hell bent to our apartment to get me to a bathroom.
I was worried that I had scared him with my out pouring of emotion, at some place as normal as Taco Bell.
He assured me that life does happen at taco bell, and that it was perfectly normal.
He called from work just to see if I was feeling ok, and that he'd be home to me as fast as he could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment