Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What the World Needs Now ( Mar 26, 2009 )

I was standing in the shower lathering my hair on the first lather of the lather rinse repeat ritual, and it hit me...
What our world needs is some good old fashioned 1930's style glamour and wit.
I'm not talking about the kind you'd find in the bread lines of the great depression, I'm talking about the kind you'd find in the Pictures. Like Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable in It happened one night. That's the kinda vavavoom I'm talking of.
For example...why don't we call them Pictures anymore? It sounds so much more elegant that Movies.
I actually LIKE the way men would crack wise in such a PG...scratch that G rated way. Or when they were about to get into a scuffle one guy would say to the other "Oh...yeeeah?" Them was old timey fightin' words!
I appreciate the way women's lingere was referred to as Things.
And, I find a good giggle at snappy lines like: You know, there's nothing I like better than to meet a high-class mama that can snap 'em back at ya. 'Cause the colder they are, the hotter they get. That's what I always say. Yes, sir, when a cold mama gets hot, boy, how she sizzles.
Speaking of It happened One Night...there is a scene that is so beautiful, if you can get past Claudette's overly obviously penciled on eyebrows (they DO look comical...very very comical). She is lying on a big pile of hay that Clark Gable has arranged for her bed. The "moon" is shining down on her and she is looking opposite of the camera.
And it is just...gorgeous. As in OLD hollywood glam gorgeous.
Granted no one wants to go through another Great Depression, but you have to wonder with the job market the way it is, the cost of EVERYTHING going up (REALLY, rice crispies is nearly $5 a box!?) When corporations are the only ones receiving bailouts, and our deficit keeps skyrocketing.....maybe a lil' 1930's Hollywood glamour and innocent charm wouldn't do us too bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment