Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Holy Life Alert! When Life Imitates Commercials (

So, there is a ritual that takes place nightly in Apartment A. It is known as whomever is last standing must turn off the paper ikea lamp that stands in our bedroom corner. The same corner that is across the room, away from the bed.
Neither of us wants to be last person standing. So, as of lately, it's become a race to see who gets in bed first.
Last night, I saw things were quickly winding down. I rushed through brushing the teeth (Thank you Braun spin brush for getting the job done quickly!)
I ran and tossed the covers back, and put both legs under and tuned into the last few pages of the book I was reading. (Which just so happened to be The Little Princesses: The Story of the Queen's Childhood by her Nanny, Marion Crawford) Mike totally knew what was up as he sat on the edge of the bed setting his alarm.
I quickly put the book down, knowing he would jokingly say "But you are the last one actually using the light."
Which he did.
I said "Oh but no, m'man. I put the book down. PLUS, both of my legs are under the covers, yours, m'dear are still hanging over the side of the bed, thus proving that you are still last one standing."
He quickly lay down.
I closed my eyes and fake snored.
He said "No! Don't do that! No falling asleep."
I said between loud fake snores "I can't hear you, I'm already asleep."
He said "No you're not, I am." and faked snored alongside me.
I retorted with "I can live with it if you can."
He said "Fine by me."
I opened one eye and looked over at his smiling eyes closed fake snoring face.
I whined "But I turned if off for the past SEVEN days!"
He playfully scoffed, "Seven days, nuh-uh! You are simply making up facts!"
I said "What!? Never!"
We both sat up in bed at the same time, unplanned, mind you, and clapped our hands, as though we really had a clapper.
The light stayed on.
We both looked at each other and laughed.
I said "We really need to get one of those."
I said "Please, turn it off?"
Mike said "Watch what I'm about to do!" as he proceeded to stand up, wearing only his jammies (aka boxer briefs).
He promptly and dramatically fell down exclaiming "I've fallen and I can't get up!"
I started laughing so hard. Not so much at the I've fallen and I can't get up reference but the playfully one-uppin'-me way he said "Watch what I'm about to do!"
Turns out, he was the one to turn out the light...
Which means, if we were counting up whogets the other to turn off the light points in the same fashion that we count up who is first to see a PT Cruiser by yelling "BRUISER!" (Which is the game we play constantly in the car) I believe I would have one point more than My Mike...

No comments:

Post a Comment