Wednesday, April 11, 2012

More Washington Mutterings (Dec 12, 2008)

So, on this rainy and ridiculously cold day, I'm sitting here in sad resignation that we did not make it to Point Defiance Zoo's holiday zoo lights.
Granted, we did do a fair amount of holiday-esque type of acitivies during our Washington trip.
We went to Leavenworth, the bavarian village in the middle of the most beautiful mountains I've ever laid eyes on. I was so mesmirized that every place we stopped, I was ready to move there, call it home.
Esp. North Bend.
I didn't really change my mind that North Bend would be a nice place to live, EVEN despite the man at Mcdonald's who wanted me to order a breakfast VALUE meal by saying "What number?"
I said "I'll just have a breakfast burrito."
He said "What number?"
I said "Just the burrito no number."
He said "You don't want the number?"
I said "No. No number, burrito will be fine?"
He said "Just the burrito not the mcskillet meal?"
I said "Just the regular ol' burrito, please."
He said "The number comes with a drink, and a hashbrown."
I said "I'm good." Not telling him I had a peppermint mocha in the car a-waitin'.
He said "Well then just one burrito no number, no drink for you." Turning to Mike he said "And what number can I get you?"
Thus starting the whole "number" process again.
This Mcdonald's was fancy. It was "themed" outdoorsy themed, and in lieu of a playground, this Mcdonald-land didn't boast a play area, no indeedy, it had a fountain. Chez Ronald!
I didn't actually change my mind that North Bend is my new home...until Mike broke the sad news that It snows "A LOT" in the winter. My dreams of living in the town that is famous for being in the movie The Vanishing (Yes, he showed me the gas station that was featured) were dashed, smashed and cut in 1/2.
Leavenworth, when we did finally arrive was so beautiful.
I had the most fun meandering in and out of shops, buying coconut clusters (which I'm so guilty of buying them at nearly every candy shop, and have yet to find any as yummalicious as the ones in Savannah, but the search continues w/o fail), or just being silly with Michael.
My favorite shop was the Hat Shop. I don't remember seeing anyone buying hats, but everyone was trying them on. We were all howling with laughter. Every hat try-er on-er. But where else can you morph into a rasta w/ dreads just by putting on a hat?
We also got gingerbread cookies that we delightfully ate on the snowy ride home.
Mike was constantly listening to reports on "The Passes" for our trip home. Come to find out a "Pass" is just a road. However, sometimes they shut down these roads if the conditions are bad.
We hauled it out of their before nightfall so we wouldn't get stuck in a pass, or have to turn around. We took a pass named Steven, and it was spectacular! We stopped on the road for self pictures many times. The snow was beautiful, and once Michael just wanted me to "Look over." To see how high up we were. When I was walking my cold self back to the heated seats of the rental car, I got pummeled on the leg with a snowball, courtesy of Michael's child-like shenanigans.
We sang songs and looked at christmas lights, and ate our gingerbread (his was a man, I chose the frosted heart cookie) and chattered about our day, and how amazing the scenery is.
He did report to his family that "Amber wants to live everywhere we visit!"
(I have to say, I do have my heart set somewhat on Axis apartments in Seattle....

No comments:

Post a Comment