Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cloris Leachman and the funny bits...(Apr 25, 2009)

Most of our funny stuff happens right before calling it a night, and I know what you're thinking I'm referring to... but For real, I'm talking about knee buckling comedy.

So, there we were, me on my side of the bed, He on his side. I said "I think we need to keep this Winterthur brochure." Handing it over to him.
"Why?" He asked taking it from my hands.
"Well, because we didn't get a souvenir, except for the memories we made, and...can you see why I want to keep it?"

***In case you are wondering, Winterthur is a Du Pont family home in Wilmington Delaware. One of the many du Pont family homes in the Brandywine area. I just have to say, there we were thinking we are all knowledgable that we'd been to the du Pont home in Delaware, when there are really, like about 8 estates we could've been too.

Earlier, as he was getting ready for bed, I was cruising said brochure and said "I'm about to tell you something that will make you really mad."
He said "Ok. what is it?"
I said "Did you know, when we were in Winterthur we were only about 30 miles from Philadelphia. We could've seen the liberty bell!"
He took off his shirt and threw it in faux anger.
I said "But it doesn't stop there. There are like 8 du Pont homes in the area, Winterthur was just one of them."
He said "WHAT?" in fake disdain, as he threw back the covers on the bed....

But that isn't the story I was planning to tell you, and will get back to the brochure moment that happened mere moments after his fake fit.***

He opened the brochure and read every word. Except I wasn't referring to words. I was referring to the picture of the tram. Which we rode when we visited.

He closed the brochure and I said "Did you see why I think we should file it away for safe keeping?"
He said "Well, I read all of it..."
I said "No...as in the picture. Of the tram. Remember? We totally lived out that entire picture. To the T."
Side note...the tram was packed with elderlies, and we were the youngest in the batch of Winterthur rubberneckers.
He looked at the picture again and said "OH! yeah!" Then immediately began channelling our fellow tour guide and tourist.

Mike as the tourguide: "If anyone wants to stop and hop off the tram to walk round the gardens, let me know, and we will stop.'
Mike as the tourist on the tram: "We want to stop!" (The touristy man said this literally before the tour guide could finish her sentence.)
Mike as the tourist to his wife: "C'mon ma, let's get off here!"

Which then lead Mike into a golden girls/bea arthur conversation....
Mike as Bea Arthur's Husband "C'mon Maude. Let's go."
Mike as bea Arthur: "My name isn't Maude, It's Bea, stop calling me that!"
Needless to say, but I'm saying it regardlessly...yes, i was laughing, hard.

Which laughter encourages my dearly beloved....and he continued....as bea arthur to her fellow golden girls...
"MA!" Then he said to me "Sophia. Estelle Getty." (Like I needed to be told that)
Through my fits of laughter he said (As Bea Arthur) "Cloris Leachman, you think you were the sex pot of the show, but I am sexy too!"
I said through gulps of laughter "Cloris Leachman?!"
he said "yeah, the sexy one on the show."
I said 'No, you mean Blanche Deveraux. Rue McClanahan"
He said "Man, I used to love that show."

I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. I yipped out between fits of laughter and trying to catch my breath "It's so funny....To....know...a...guy....looooved...GOLDEN GIRLS!"

He was laughing hilariously, and tried to pass of the winterthur brochure to me by saying "hold this for a second." In a lame attempt to NOT have to be the one who turned out the light. I took it from his hand, threw it on the floor and pretend fell asleep while giggling at the thought of Mike tuning into the Golden girls at age 12, singing along with the opening theme....

(Incidentally...he turned off the light.)

No comments:

Post a Comment