Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Valentine's Day and Other Spices (Feb 17, 2009)

So, on thursday, the one that came before valentine's day, my sweetie-sweet came home from work. There I was sitting on the sofa (Gary the multicolored one) in my vintage slip nightie covered up in a fleece blanket watching Tyler Perry's House of Payne. I can't help it, I Love that show. Specifically it was the episode where Curtis gets Kitty. ANYHOW...
He comes in all smiley and giddy.
I say "Hey baby!"
He says "I'm so excited!" (Keep in mind all week long he's been secretive and smiley and not letting me in on ANY details.)
I said "About DC tomorrow?"
He replied with "Nope. Well, yeah, but about Valentine's day!"
I said "Oh! really?"
He said "Yes, and I can't wait. I have to tell you. I am so tempted to tell you what I got!"
I stopped him with a "NOOOOOO! Don't tell me!"
He said "But it's for us. It's a joint valentine."
I immediately thought ...Oh gawd..it's a couples massage...please don't let it be a couples massage....I said, with some what of a dissappointed tone "Is it a couples massage?"
He paused and said "no."
He told me he was just going to tell me.
I said "no no no. keep it a secret!" and put my hand over his mouth.
He muttered under my hand "It's something we both love."
I said "Is it a cat?"
He said "Yes."
I said "NO! Don't TELL me!"
He said "Well, you guessed, I couldn't lie!"
I said "REEEEALLY? a cat?!"
He said "Yes. Jeff."
I said "JEFF!? as in mutt and jeff from petco? are you telling me the truth? For real???"
He said "Yep!"
So, despite my giddiness we headed off to bed early to wake up the next morning in time to catch the train to DC.
Running on 3 hours of sleep, I'd say I did pretty good. We stopped at the On the GO! for a cup of coffee and a little pack of donuts. I guzzled my coffee from Odenton to Union Station, making fun of the way people here pronouce the town of Bowie not at all like the sufferegette city Bowie and more like Bouy.
DC was nice in the morning. Not a lot of people out and about, just workers going to their jobs and a few early bird tourists like ourselves.
We went up top of the WAshington Monument and looked at the city all while waiting on the Museum of American History to open for the day. We walked around the mall, talking and taking in all the sites.
I do have to say the newly remodeled History Museum sadly sadly disappointed me.
It opened back in November, yet still looks only partly finished. There was no archie bunker's chair. No fonzie's jacket. Gone. All in storage. What we were treated to seeing in the entertainment room (Which was tiny!) was The Ruby Slippers, some latin american singers spangley sparkly dress, a harlam globe trotter uniform, and some muppets.
I said to mike "This is all? Where's archie's chair????"
We walked through America At War, and WWI was poorly represented. They barely had ANYTHING.
I don't believe I saw much tribute to the Korean war either, it just jumped from WWII (Which was a HUGE display to Vietnam) There was a tiny tribute to the Iraq war, and that was that. I felt a lil' jipped I have to admit.

We did however get to see THE star spangled banner flag. As in the one Francis Scott Key wrote the song about.
And trust me, standing there, in the dark room, looking at it, it's so damn hard not to feel patriotic and awed. I know I did.
But the highlight of our entire day was walking back to Union Station. There, sashaying in front of us was a robust man in a pair of women's flip flops. You may be questioning as to how I knew they were women's flops. Granted they were black, in color, they were beyond all doubt made for a female foot. They were raised high heel flops, and definitely not en vogue for the male foot.
We snapped pictures of the man as he hauled it double time by the Capitol.
The next morning, Valentine's Day, we woke up and Mike skirted around telling me that I absolutely could NOT go with him to pick up Jeff. I asked why. He said I had to stay there. It was very important that someone be home.
I said "ok" as I muched on a Tiramisu Truffle. (He gave me a heart shaped box full of the Wockenfuss treats. 36 truffles to be exact)
He left and soon thereafter a van arrived bearing the most beautiful red roses and red gerber daises.
The man cleared his throat (the same throat that was covered in tattoos) and said "Happy Valentine's Day!" I for a half of a second believed he was going to sing me a song, but thankfully refrained from a senerade)
I was so happy and giddy (Flowers always do that to me)
I couldn't stop smelling them.
About an hour after that, Michael came home bearing Jeff, the adopted rescued cat.
We marveled at his catness, laughing and calling everyone we knew to tell them the news.
Mike told his dad that he was a grandpa, It was a boy 6months old. His dad misunderstood believing I was 6 months pregnant...which we found to be quite humorous....
Jeff will have to be the only lil' boy suman we have for a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment