Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rings and Things (Nov 19, 2009)

After a long stint in Georgia, a crashed computer and various other time consuming activities, I've found the perfect minute to share with you the story of how Michael asked me to marry him.

Now, I could try to church it up and say that birds were singing, and people were wearing berets as he asked me to marry him. But since none of that would be true, I'll just stick to the simple bare bones truth of how it came to be that I said yes.
Birds may have well been singing, but if they were, I didn't hear a tweet or a peep.

It was September. The sun was shining. Our apartment at shelter cove was empty save for some boxes, and a couple suitcases.
Empty enough that our voices echoed against the bare walls.
We were putting up the finishing touches on the move out, and we were going to meet the Lane's for dinner. Yes, they were kind enough to make dinner for us. Steaks even!

So there I was sitting on the floor in the bedroom.
We were talking about marriage.
He said "I don't have the ring yet. I can't ask without the ring, you know?"
I said "Yes you can! Even Lynsey says you can."
He laughed. His smile was so big. He said "Amber. Will you marry me?"
Then promptly did a funny little dance in a circle. I half expected to see jazz hands.
I laughed at his antics, believing fully that he was just teasing.
I said jokingly "Uhm...Suuuuure!"
He stopped and said "Huh?"
I looked at him, and said "wait. what? are you serious?"
he said "Yes. I'm serious!"
I said "Are you sure you're serious?"
He said "yes. very serious!"
I said "Oh! Gosh! yes! Yes I'll marry you!"

I believe a chickadee sang a tune and probably somewhere in france someone was wearing a beret. Albeit, it was probably a non French trying to fit in but noless...

I called everyone I knew, and he did too.
Then we went to the Lane's. We announced to Chrissy who just sat there on her sofa. Then said "Oh my gosh! I just told Erik I hoped you asked her before we left!" (As they were moving to Kentucky)

Mike got me a place holder ring until we could get to Ga, and he could pick up the ring that I'd shamelessly picked out.

And that day came in October.
I drove to Augusta to see him. The sun was shining, and it was nice and hot.
I was hugging him hello, and in the midst of the hug, he had pulled the ring out of his pocket.
And opened the box.
I felt him moving around and asked if I'd hurt his arm when I went in for the huge I miss you so much hug.
He said no.
The box was sitting opened in his hand.
It took me a minute to realize what was sparking in his open palm.
I couldn't formulate any words.
I just started crying.
And so did he....  

No comments:

Post a Comment