Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Love & Marriage & a $3,000 Emergency Room Bill (Jan 20, 2010)

Finally.

We got married. On a kind of overcast cold day in december. The 19th. 2pm. In the most beautiful church.
In a low key ceremony, with my sister, and best friend by my side, red shoes on my feet I said "I will."
Fighting tears, to keep my fiance from crying as well, I looked into his smiling face, and recognized my forever.

We drove to Georgia, cats in tow. I barely remember the trip down for our wedding. I was just so excited. We left in the afternoon, and took a power nap in a truckstop parking lot just northeast of Knoxville.
Which had the wake up benefit of going inside and discovering cherry sweet rolls, which I had given up hope on.
They were a favorite from my childhood saturday mornings.
I nabbed those and a Dolly & Kenny Christmas cd. Mike had never heard Hard Candy Christmas. Which I think is nearly a sin. (He was singing it by the end of the trip, thanks to my many loops).

When I drove through Copperhill, it was all decorated for christmas. My happiness was abounding. The next day, we (us & the g'nos) picked up his kid at the airport, and treated her to the Varsity.

The morning before the wedding, I was a nervous wreck.
Notsomuch about marrying Michael. Which I had no doubts about...it was more of...tripping and falling down the gorgeous church's little aisle.

In front of G-d, Family & my closest friends, in the beautiful little church, I got married.

When the Pastor gave Michael permission to kiss his wife, he made guests laugh. We kissed, he raised his leg, bent at the knee. He promised me he'd do it, but I wasn't banking on it, figuring he'd forget....
When I heard laughter, I knew he did indeed remember.

When Pastor Barbara announced us Husband & Wife, We turned around to face everyone. I saw Grandma, and said "HI Grandma!!" She was the sweetest surprise, because I was told early that morning that she wouldn't be able to come, due to sickness.

We had cake, but did NOT smash it into each other's faces. We visited with everyone, and left after everyone else did. We didn't do the magical 'leaving' bit, nor did I throw my bouquet.
We are moving to germany for 3 years, and figure that will be better than any little honeymoon escape. So Michael is saving his leave time for my birthday in Paris, a kiss in Prague, laughing in London, and siestas in spain....

However, Michael did get a ritzy hotel in Atlanta for us.
In fact, I ran from the door of our room and did a bellybust onto the glorious bed, laughing with glee, still wearing my glorious red wedding heels.
I announced that the bed should be it's own country, and I was applying for citizenship.

We ordered room service.
And that is where things turned south. The water in the fancy little glass tasted funny. But I was thirsty....so I drank it anyhow.

The next morning, my first morning waking up as Amber Suman, I felt the ick. it was burbling in my belly. Promising to come up for air.

I shook it off. Afterall, I can will myself not to throw up. I call on the toilet bowl gawds. I beg Mary, and Joseph. I promise G-d if He just gives me diarrhea, I'll be good. I HATE to throw up.
Plus, all I had to eat on our wedding day was room service, and a bite of cake....so it COULD be hunger, right?

Mike & I went out for fresh air, and to get some souvenirs for his kid.

I ask him to pull into cvs to get me some emitrol...with the special request to "park me near the grass".
Which is never a good sign.

He went into CVS (what does that stand for anyhow??) and came out with bags of anti throw up stuff.

Suffice it to say, the emitrol, the seabands, the ginger ale...nothing worked. And I was unwilling to attempt to try the Maalox. It was thick. It smelled minty. It looks so chalky. I couldn't.


Somehow, someway, We made it back to the hotel. Where I slept and got sick all day until 8pm.
It was high drama. And my poor new husband was willing to roll with the punches, and held my hair.

Finally. when I was all shivers and chattery teeth,

Michael put my shoes on me, and I went, braless without resistance, to the ER.

Which, dear reader, you can deduce that I was definitely sick and miserable. Due to these facts...
1. I do NOT go to the ER. There are needles there.
2. I'm not going anywhere braless.


I went directly from Triage to a room. Fast. No waiting.
I was on a bed, with an IV in my arm within 10mins. I was begging for blankets, and I had shot after shot to keep me from throwing up.

It was high drama that I don't remember.

Whatever they gave me, didn't stop all my sickness, but it put a curb on it and made me woozy, and I was layered with 4, yes 4 blankets.

I do not remember going back to the hotel. I do not remember Michael taking my shoes off, I don't remember who I saw at the hospital.

My new husband stayed by my side, and signed all the papers, and did all the things I couldn't do.

We made our drive, with his daughter, back to Maryland 2 days later, and in time for holiday festivities.

The christmas card from the hospital arrived, telling us we owed the hospital alone, 3,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment