Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Slip Slidin' Away... (Feb 2, 2009)

Ok, so it is very true. I have to just start out by saying that Karma does indeed watch out for those of the Hindu faith, and quite rapidly, too might I add. And definitely, Karma has a No Erasies policy
Not more than a few days after my giggle fest inspired by the neighbor sliding willy nilly down Mattress Hill, did I take my own spill.
It started innocently enough. It was just such a warm yesterday. I would venture to say it got up into the 50's. The mounds of ice were melting into slush under the warmth. So, the sliding glass door was open to the world, letting in all the spring like air into our stale ol' winter apartment. I was doing a pre-spring clean. I even had the pledge out an in use filling our lil' abode with that fresh lemony scent.
We loaded up the trash (2 bags) and we were taking it to the garbage bins on Mike's way to work. I leave the sliding door open as the garbage bins are very close to our building.
On the way back, me and my brillant ideas decided that "hey! I can save the middle man and just go inside through the patio! SCORE!" (I'm most assuredly thought SCORE! in my mind, heck, I may have even lip synced the word.)

There is a mini hill from the sidewalk to our patio and down into our apartment.
I am walking along the sidewalk telling Mike to have a good evening at work, and I step onto the grass. Which looks for serious like just grass. I wasn't thinking of the evil underbelly of Mud from all the melting that was occuring.
The moment that my feett, in my favoritest trusty green sneaks (ie so favorite that the bottoms have zero traction left) step on the grassy hill, both fly out from under me, and I'm airborne. Yes. I was suspended in air for miliseconds. I land hard smack on my keister. (Yes, I was wearing my favoritest faded Levis) I land promptly in the mud, using my hand to try to stop the fall, it became covered in mud, top and bottom.
I feel the jolt go from my arse to the top of my head.
I look at Mike who is trying to desperately keep from laughing. He bites his smile and says "AMBER!!!Are you OK!?"
Still sitting in the cold mud feeling it totally soak my jeans, I respond with the gutteral groan of "UHHHHHH."
His smile fades as he thinks I'm truly truly injured.
Which only makes me laugh, really hard. He starts to smile and through my yelps of laughter I promptly order him "Don't LAUGH!"
Which only makes him laugh harder.
He must've felt terrible though because he came bearing diet cokes with Lime after his PT and before his work shift began. Instructing me to take advil.
I called my sister who immediately told me that is what I get for laughing at the man who bambi-on-iced his way down Mattress Hill.
I said "But I took it back! Immediately!"
And I did take it back...but apparently Ishvara dishes out Karma speedily....
And for a recovery of a sore bum and a tender wrist and some mild neck pain what else would do besides for watching Xanadu and singing the Magic song along with the queen of all roller skates Olivia Newton-John? It makes me wish I'd not given up the roller skate at the tender age of nine...if I'd only stuck with it...if I'd only stuck with it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment