Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sideways Snow, Oreos & Quick Phone Calls (Feb 10, 2010)

It's snowing. Again. This time sideways and sometimes swirly. But most assuredly, nonstop.
Baltimore had called off plowing, due to visibility.
DC is closed down, and the National Guard are chauffeuring the police about town.
There was a 50 car pile up in Virginia. No kidding. Really. The weather channel doesn't lie.

We've been warned time and again to stay inside and only go out if we must.

And I'm thinking...they called off the plowing. They called it a day. Threw in the towel. The Plowers gave up. Which means...we are stuck.
Thank Nabisco I bought a package of Double Stuffeds at Harris Teeter yesterday, cause I'm in for the long haul. So I'm curled in, tuned into WGN, escaping to the sweet 1960's. To the snow free world of I Dream Of Jeannie. (if the next episode even mentions snow, I'm changing channels.)

But even the mayhem of Jeannie's dark haired 'sister' (Whose voice I believe Kim Cattrell channelled for the infamous loveable Samantha Jones) the antics of Jeannie, the baffoonary of Major Nelson's cohorts AND the Double Stuffeds cannot distract me from the endless fall snow and the unavoidable clean up that will follow.

The highlight of the last two days came via a short phone call from Germany. I was in line at Harris Teeter waiting for 30 mins for my 3 little items, and the phone rang.
I answered quickly and heard his voice on the other end. He said "I miss you SO much."
It made me smile. I told him numerous times that I miss him and love him.

He told me about the woes of traveling, how he got kicked awake by a seven year old. He asked me what time it was, and couldn't grasp the time change.


He told me NOT to open the spare room closet door until Valentine's morning. That there is a present in there for me.
I explained I'd have to mail his valentine late. I can't get to the post office.
I don't know when I'll feel "safe" to drive.

Mike told me he hadn't seen much of Germany, to know if it's pretty or not.
Before we hung up he promised to email and to call me as soon as possible.

We hung up the phone, and I walked home, beside the literal walls of snow. Where plowers just pushed and pushed snow into gigantic walls of solid frozenness.
I was looking at it (Which was triple or fourple the height of me) and I thought "How white. How Racist!"
Which made me giggle.
For a second I stepped up my pace to our apartment, to rush home to tell my husband my new snow is racist joke.

My thought as I walked up the freshly salted stairs in our building: Everything is so much more fun when I'm with Michael....

No comments:

Post a Comment