Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little Diamond Ring Stories...(Feb 18, 2009)

My darling man, the one who I make yellow rice and curry chicken for, speaks of marriage casually. Lying in bed we plan a future wedding filled to overflowing with quirkiness. He indulges my every whim, and sometimes when I look at him, I feel such overwhelming love that I catch my breath.
And with sentiments like that, you'd think I'd be blasting Celine Dion while wistfully pouring over BRIDES magazine, hopping he will pop the question like in some sappy lifetime television for women movie of the month.
But, I'd much rather quote silly movie lines with him, laugh too hard over our shirtless neighbors, bask in his amusement of how I over pronounce the letter "G" (as in Hanger, Song, Wrong..etc) and be happily surprised every time we stumble across a random armadillo. That to me, is more beautiful and more exciting that any dress Vera Wang ever created.
Having said all that...I couldn't NOT smile and get knotty stomached when we were looking at rubies the other day.
We scooted down to the next jewlery case which housed all the fancy diamonds.Engagement rings of every style glittered and danced while whispering "Put me on your finger!"
I saw a lavish one, sparkles and beauty bursting from it's platinum band.
I said "OHHH! That one looks like one that Lyns would want!"
Mike said "Yes, but...which one would you want?"

I bit my lip looking into the glass as though I was at the hospital looking into the nursery window at my newborn baby while Mike passed out cigars.
I pointed to one and said "That one."
The sales lady smiled. You could clearly see she was thinking "Commission!" I could definitely see it in her eyes when I looked up.
Mike said "Can she see it?"
The lady hopefully handed it over to me. I said "wow. It is beautiful"
Mike agreed.
I smiled handing the very pricey ring back to the lady behind the counter.
As we walked away, I couldn't help but think to myself, "I hope he asks me to marry him much like in My big fat greek wedding."
I just love the idea of a casually sweet proposal...
And we both know that I wouldn't not say yes....
But until then, I will just happily keep laughing over curry chicken and delight in being with him...

No comments:

Post a Comment