Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The 80's and fake christmas tree happiness! (Dec 17, 2008)

My quest for all things Sarah Jessica Parker (save the Lovely/Covet perfumes eeegads! those things stink!) led me to the movie "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".
The dance scenes were so enthralling, i didn't know if I should laugh, or pull out an old plastic headband, push it back on my head, then move it a smidge foward thus giving myself the ol' "headband poof", as I like to call it. (whatever, you know you TOTALLY did that in the 80's to make your hair have that conservative girl poof, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.) I went with laughing, because I couldn't find the headband in my 'hair accessories' bucket.
This movie has it ALL. And I do mean ALL. (watch the trailer if you don't believe in my words: The fact that you will NOT regret this video is backed by my promise!!!)
Where else can you find...terrible dancing, a blue collar public school brawny kid with all the hot dance moves, a tough talking retired General who is overprotective of his catholic school girl daughter (SJP), a rich snobby girl who gets everything she demands, a sassy talkin' funky clothes wearing catholic school rocker girl (Helen Hunt) who instantly befriends Sarah Jessica, and helps her to achieve her dream of shaking her tailfeathers on Dance TV?
No, no the fun and good times don't stop there...There is a coming out party scene wherein all the stereotypical rich girl's dreams get smashed along with a table that has a gigantic punch bowl on it.

There are 80's punks, a kid sister, a fast talking Jewish kid, AND a rowdy dance club scene...sneaking out, fashion out the wazoo...
Not to mention Sarah Jessica & her dance pal/blue collar boyfriend do the "lift" made famous by a certian Jennifer Grey & Patrick Swayze. But don't get your boxer briefs tangled...Girls Just want to Have Fun made it's motion picture debut in 1985. Pre the dirtiest of all dancing movies which made it's rise to fame in 1987. (FYI: American Greetings had a Dirty Dancing Christmas Ornament...I'm still in mild depression that I did not shell out the $25 to make that ornament mine!!!
(So what, I'm a dance movie aficiando!) Granted GJWTHF is NO Dirty Dancing.
It's just grade B delight.
So, my advice is run to Target and shell out your $5 for this cinematic masterpiece. It's in the bargain section, where it rightfully belongs. And trust me, you will want this in your movie collection. It's pure 80's hokey genius. Not quite on the level of the late 70's Somewhere Tomorrow. But just as much terrible movie fun!!
In other holiday-ish news, Mike & I put up our Christmas tree. We got a fakey. We named him K. Martin. After the store where his Royal Holiday Fakeness was purchased.
Mike was in charge of lights, while I amused him with lively commentary, he wound himself round and round the tree. We put on the lights, then tinseled that tree up to perfection.
Later that night, after dinner and watching Tropic Thunder, we lounged by the tree watching the twinkling and chasing lights. Talking about this and that.
He said "This is so romantic!"
I said "What? the lights?"
He said "Lounging here with you, by the tree. What could make it better?"
I said "A fireplace."
He said "And some snow."
I said "but it's pretty much perfect."
He said "Yeah, even though your boyfriend's face almost hit his dinnerplate..."
(Which it did, he was one sleepy soldier.)
I said that I'd heard it was snowing in Washington state...
Which prompted us to ramble on about that area, and where we'd like to live most in that state. Both joking that the Axis apartments downtown in Seattle, are just a meager $3,000 per month.
I felt all warm and toasty inside when we played "Where would you be without me?"
He said "I'd be lonely."
I said, without hiding my smile "Really?"
He said "Yes, you make me happy. I love being with you."
I said "Well, where would I be without you...hmmmm..."
He made mention that I'd be just fine.
I told him to take it back, that I'm happiest with him.
And we just watched the lights twinkle as I snuggled into his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment