Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tetnus and the Door Jam (May 12, 2009)

There I was, on my way out the door, en route to work.
I've got my 'goin' to work khaki's on. I have my hair all shiney.
my purse on one arm.
My lunch pack on the other.
I was ready. I was leaving.

Except Jess doesn't like to be left alone in the apartment. So, She followed me. I was afraid she was going to sneak out side, as the rowdy neighbors opened their door. They have a pit bull and why anyone would choose to have that kind of animal as a pet...in an apartment...is really beyond me. Doesn't it need a yard to frolick in?

But whatever.
To prevent Jessica from dashing out into the wild world known as butthole cove apartments, I shut the door, and fast!

Except I didn't move my foot fast enough. And I was wearing open toed mini heels slides.
And the toe that is the neighbor to my big toe? yeah..well, she got smooshed.
And schmeared.

I pushed the door back over my toe, to free it from the bonds of rusty door jam hell.

I opened the door in one swift move, stepped into our foyer and yelled "G-D!" Which I never do. EVER.
And kicked my shoe into the living room.
I tried to walk it off.
That was the first thing. Except it just hurt more.
I finally gathered up the courage to look at it. Yes. Bleeding, and how...

I put a bandaid on it. It bled through.
I did this two times before caling Lyns. I felt faint. I could taste blood in my mouth. I was high drama. I admit it.

Lyns told me to wrap it, and prop it up. Then asked when I last had a tetnus. I said 89.

When Mike got home from work, she made me give him the phone...and you guessed it.

It was off to the hospital for me.

I tried to talk mike out of taking me, telling him it was only a scratch. And besides for that, I didn't even NEED a shot.

He giggled. i asked what was funny.
He said "Nothing. well, I'm laughing at something I saw at work."
I said "yeah. what was it?"
He said "Oh..uhm...a youtube."
I said "really? What kind?"
He said "Oh...about this..uh..guy..who wanted to be wolverine, and he was jumping around, and I told everyone, he is going to end up arrested."
I said "That's not funny."
He said "Well, it kinda is."
I said "I want to go home. This is stupid."

He told me I would end up getting my toe cut off if I didn't get a shot.
I told him I didn't use that toe much anyhow.

He was beside me the whole way, and everytime he smiled at my drama, I'm sure he wasn't laughing at me, but at wolverine wannabe.

And when the intensity of the tetnus was upon me, in all it's doom and gloom...in all my heart racing, cold sweat pouring fear....
Mike just sat beside me, and held my hand...and then..when the nurse brought me an ice pack for my forehead post shot (Yes, I am that dramatic, and if you laughed, or smirked when reading that...I will be forced to believe that YOU, too find humor in the wolverine gets arrested youtube.)
He held the ice pack to my sweaty forehead....

And agreed with the nurses that I wouldn't have to do that again for another decade...

No comments:

Post a Comment